Donor: Building Alliances for Local Advancement, Development, and Investment – Capacity Building (BALADI CAP)
Partners: Development for People and Nature Association (DPNA) and Youth Initiative (Mubadarat)
Duration: June 2017 – May 2018
Anjar (Bekaa), Nemrin (North Lebanon), Chwaya (South Lebanon)
This project was designed to enable youth within the three selected localities (Majdal Anjar, Nimreen, and Chwaya) to effectively advocate the implementation of good governance practices in municipalities. These Youth Committees (YCs) attended a series of capacity-building workshops to develop their advocacy skills and knowledge on Municipal law and budgeting. Furthermore, needs-based assessments were conducted in the areas to identify the top priority needs of the local community. The YCs worked towards advocating a participatory form of Municipal budgeting in order to address the top priority needs of their communities.
· Forming three Youth Committees in Majdal Anjar, Nemrin, and Shwaya and hold several meetings with Municipal Officials
· Capacity building workshops for the Youth Committees (12 youth from each village) on the following topics:
- Consensus building
- Good governance, transparency and accountability, and budgeting
- Comprehending needs-based assessments
- Advocacy and Communication Strategies
- Municipal Law and Citizens’ Rights, e.g., Access to Public Services
· Rapid needs-based assessment with the support of Youth Committees for each village.
· Needs-based assessment reports for the three villages.
· Town Hall meetings in the three villages to discuss the needs-based assessment reports.
· Advocate the implementation of the outcome of the recommendations of the need-based assessment reports.
· Assist the municipalities in developing the municipal budget.
· Developing a booklet on the phases of the project with success stories.
· Documentary for the project.
· Final event.