TI-DS’s work in Lebanon aims to improve the Defense Sector’s understanding of corruption and support the improvement of anti-corruption mechanisms within it. The Lebanese Government is one of the most openminded in the MENA region, and its defense forces have shown determination to improve integrity and transparency in the past. However, the political situation in Lebanon remains fragile and corruption systemic. In 2015, TI-DS’s Government Defense Anti-corruption Index identified key areas of concern within the Lebanese Armed Forces, including operations, procurement, and personnel.
With an ongoing conflict and the rise of extremist armed groups, some of which have conducted attacks on Lebanese territory, from Syria, and high tensions with Israel, Lebanon remains at high risk of conflict and instability within its borders.
Funded by Transparency UK, with a total budget of USD 100,218, this project, in partnership between TI-DS and LTA, aims to strengthen anti-corruption mechanisms and reduce corruption risks related to the Lebanese defense establishment. TI-DS started working in Lebanon, and this project in conjunction with the updated Government Defense Anti-corruption Index, which is released annually, help shape future programming and advocacy in Lebanon.
1. Produce two Policy Papers on:
- Establishing an Anti-corruption Unit within the Lebanese Defense Institution.
- Promoting Access to Information within the Lebanese Armed Forces.
2. Social Media Campaign to raise awareness on the role of the Anti-corruption Unit and the Importance of Access to Information within the Defense Institution, Lebanon GDI Result, through Info graphs and videos.
3. A Strategic workshop with the LAF to deepen understanding and preparedness to reform priority areas vulnerable to corruption.
4. Launching the Government Defense Integrity Index (GDI) result report.
5. Workshops with the LAF on the following topics:
- Anti-Corruption Controls in Times of Disasters and Conflicts.
- Establishing an Anti-Corruption Unit within the Lebanese Defense Institution.
- Access to Information within the Lebanese Armed Forces.